11 Sept 2014

Marion KAL

































Im taking part in the Marion KAL  (knit-along) thats running over the next couple of months. Marion is a lovely cardigan from knitwear designer Andi Satterlund. This will be my third knit by Andi- The first was my Chuck sweater and second the Hetty cardigan. Hetty is sadly going to have to be frogged due to a skein from a different dye lot that doesn't quiet match up. It would probably look ok but for the effort that goes into knitting something I don't want it to just look ok. I’ll just get some different yarn and work on it again after Marion. 

I ended up getting some wool from the Bendigo Woollen Mills for Marion. Luxury 10ply in navy. I did want to get the recommend yarn from Knit Picks but I couldn't find an Australian stockist and the overseas stockists couldn't guarantee it would be here in time to start the KAL. I knit my gauge swatch over 2 needle sizes, the recommend size 8 and then one size up. I am a really tight knitter and usually find it hard to get gauge. I could get the stitch gauge with the size 9s but was off with the row gauge. I found that if I tried to knit a little looser with the 8s I could just get it. I know its usually not the preferred way as every knitter has a natural tension that they knit to but its really the only way I have around it for now without altering the pattern. Knitting tightly for so long means its going to be a hard thing to change and I do need to concentrate as I go. I feel a bit like I’m learning to knit again. My cast on and start are a little wonky but its evening up as I get further down and find my rhythm. Its a habit I’d actually like to shake for good so Marion is a test project for me to see if I can actually change my ways through practice. If I can't? Well if I can't then my cardigan is going to be too small and I'll be a little cranky. 

I cast on this morning, a day later than the actual start of the KAL but my gauge swatch was still drying and I wanted to be sure I could actually do it on the 8s at a looser tension  before I started. Hopefully I can get it finished by the 25th of October! 

Are you doing the Marion KAL? If you'd like to join up you're not too late. Check out the details here.

I hope you're enjoying the first weeks of spring. Its been a crazy start of spring in Bendigo this week with rain and sunshine but lovely all the same.


Caitlan x

No comments:

Post a Comment